WHO CAN APPLY
The Wayward retreat is open to all artists in all disciplines who:
- are women, genderqueer, genderfluid, or non-binary
- are over the age of 21
- are actively pursuing their creative calling with focused, vocational intention
If you are wondering about your eligibility for Wayward, please contact us.
HOW TO APPLY
Artists interested in Wayward must email the following materials to email@example.com.
APPLICATION — At the bottom of this page is a series of question all applicants must fill out. These help us learn about who you are and why you’re interested in the retreat. Please limit your final answers to 5 pages total.
WORK SAMPLES — We ask to see some of your work. For visual artists, this might be a portfolio or website. For writers, this can be up to 20 pages of your writing. For other artists, let us know what you make and we can discuss how best to share it with us. We’re not asking for samples to judge your skill; we’re interested in your voice and body of experiences.
If you are selected as a finalist, we’ll contact you about an interview. This will take place online via Facetime or Skype. These interviews are an additional chance for us to get to know you. The Wayward experience is intimate and immersive and not for everyone. We want to make sure your goals align with what the retreat is able to provide.
Applications are now open! Applications are due by 11:59pm pst on January 31, 2018.
We will interview candidates February 9-15. Accepted applicants will be notified shortly thereafter.
The first deposit of $500 is due March 1.
THE APPLICATION QUESTIONS
To apply, answer the following questions. For the purposes of this form, when we say “art,” we mean visual art, writing, music, or any other creative medium.
Please limit your complete set of answers to 5 typed pages.
- Please tell us your:
- Date of birth
- Personal gender pronoun
- Phone number
- How did you hear about the retreat?
- What do you create? Describe your art for us.
- Tell us where you are in your creative career. As a starting point: How much time a week do you spend on your art? Is it a full or part-time job? What have you achieved in your art that you’re proud of? What goals do you still want to accomplish?
- What are you hoping to get out of this retreat? How, specifically, will you use your solo work time? Why is this a good moment in your career for you to take this retreat?
- How much of the retreat would you prefer to work solo, versus group workshops, collaborations, creative coaching, etc.?
- Are you comfortable with and able to participate in:
- Moderate hiking?
- Canoeing or kayaking?
- Are you comfortable around nudity? (Retreaters often swim and sauna nude.)
- Are you comfortable in social situations and groups? Wayward is a week of intimate group living and connecting with others is a part of the experience.
- Do you have any issues that would make it impossible for you to share a room (not a bed!) with another retreater?
- Do you have any allergies? Any physical limitations we should know about? The nearest hospital is over an hour away, so please let us know if you have any issues or conditions that might require our awareness.
- Do you have any dietary restrictions?
- Describe the reason you make art in six words.
- What does the word "wayward" evoke for you?
- Is there anything we haven’t addressed that you’d like us to know?
WORK SAMPLE — In addition to your application questions, please submit links or images of your work. If you are a writer, please send pages (no more than 20 pages total). If you’re a musician, send songs. If you’re something else and aren’t sure what to send, contact us, and let us know!
Please send application responses and work samples to firstname.lastname@example.org.